Saturday, October 18, 2008

Hello, Certification World!!

In the Name of ALLAH

Hi there,
In this new blog I will write down my notes during my preparation for the SCJA (Sun Certified Java Associate). This is my first attempt to take a certification exam (and my first experience with the blogging world too). The road to be a Java certified professional is somewhat long. But the first step is to be an SCJA.

Here you are an overview of the Java certification path (click on the image to enlarge - I've just known this feature :D):

First, I want to tell you more about the SCJA. To successfully be an SCJA you must pass exactly one exam which is called Sun Certified Associate for the Java Platform, Standard Edition, Exam Version 1.0 (CX-310-019). The exam consists of 51 MCQ and Drag&Drop questions which must be completed in 115 minutes. The passing score is 68% (35 of 51 questions). The exam covers many subjects organized in 8 sections, as follows:

  • Section 1: Fundamental Object-Oriented Concepts.
  • Section 2: UML Representation of Object-Oriented Concepts.
  • Section 3: Java Implementation of Object-Oriented Concepts.
  • Section 4: Algorithm Design and Implementation.
  • Section 5: Java Development Fundamentals.
  • Section 6: Java Platforms and Integration Technologies.
  • Section 7: Client Technologies.
  • Section 8: Server Technologies.

You can find more details about the subjects covered in each section on Sun MicroSystems website.

And now lets talk about my preparation for the exam. This blog will serve as a notebook in which I'll write down whatever I read during my preparation. It will be organized like a book. Each section of the above 8 sections will be covered in a single chapter. And each subject covered in a particular section will be covered in a single section of the appropriate chapter.

Finally, here you are a list of references that I'll use during my study:

  1. Core Java, Volume I, 8th edition.
  2. Core Java, Volume II, 8th edition.
  3. Java How to Program, 6th edition.
  4. Effective Java, 2nd edition.
  5. Head First Java, 2nd edition.
  6. UML Distilled, 3rd edition.

Of course this is not an exclusive list and I might refer to other books or websites. So I'll use this main list besides searching the Internet whenever required.

I hope that I'll be able to do something useful for all people. I wish you can learn something new from this blog. And of course I'll be very happy to receive comments, feedback, additions, etc..

That's all for the first post. See you when I complete the first chapter. Wish you all good luck.

No comments: